Pen scanners are they any good?

LAP 22:22 04 May 04

My wife would like a pen scanner and I've got the job to find out about them (anything for quiet life)

Have you any experience/knowledge of these? Her computer is o\s win xp 3ghz 512ram. Thank you..

Cook2 23:21 04 May 04

I haven't used a 'pen scanner' but I had experience of a 4" hand held scanner some years back.

With that you needed a steady hand and pull the scanner at a slow constant pace or the scanning 'dropped out' or the results were terrible.

I would suggest you visit a shop and try for yourself.

spuds 00:18 05 May 04

Haven't used one, but here is some info click here click here

LAP 01:55 05 May 04

cook2, thank you re 'visit a shop and try for yourself' a good idea. Just right for the wife!

spuds, thank you, the review does not give me alot of confidence. Which is good in the sense that my wife is not computer minded at all and she will not want to waste 'my money'.

Thank you both again..

€dstowe 06:05 05 May 04

These were to be the "BIG" development of Siemens some years ago. They invested a lot of money into the idea and made many of the scanners.

They never took off. They were are cook2 says - and worse. By the time you had done the scan you could have handwritten whatever it was anyway.

A large number of scanners were remaindered and sold off very cheaply to unsuspecting buyers, including me.

The one I bought connected to the serial port. It had no XP drivers - these had to be obtained from an independent site as Siemens had ended their support for the item.

Far more trouble than they're worth, even if not the Siemens model. AVOID!!

€dstowe 06:07 05 May 04

Note the "Wizcom" in spuds last link looks like the Siemens product.

Catastrophe 07:13 05 May 04

Well, I have a QuickLink and am very happy with it!

Belatucadrus 09:44 05 May 04

I have a Siemans, waste of time.

Stuartli 11:47 05 May 04

Best to ensure you are sober whilst using it...:-)

Belatucadrus 15:05 05 May 04

"Best to ensure you are sober whilst using it...:-)"

Doesn't help much, but if you really need to do something important with it sobriety will probably suffer after the attempt.

LAP 18:28 05 May 04

Thank you all very much for your replies.

My wife is a little dismayed as she was looking forward to having a new gizmo, but as a result of your comments she has been put off.

Catastrophe I will look at the 'Quicklink'

I have ticked this as resolved (well you saved me some money!!) If she does get a pen I will be back with the results. BestLap..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…