Pen Drive Problem

Nellas 06:32 14 Nov 07

Hi
I recently got an annoying virus on my acer laptop (sujin.com.np) and then this thing called Disk Knight started appearing everytime I plugged something into a USB port. I seem to have finally got rid of both of them but in the meantime my pen drive and my Kingston memory card reader have both stopped working. When I plug them in nothing happens and they don't work on other computers either. My memory card does work when put into the built in card reader on the laptop. The pen drive had only been used once and it seems a bit too coincidental that I get this Disk Knight thing appearing and then they both stop working. Is there any way to reactivate them or are they broken?
Many Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 14 Nov 07

Assumming they do not appear in MY Computer.

Can you see them in disk management?

Nellas 05:20 17 Nov 07

No. Nothing whasoever happens when I plug them in. They don't appear anywhere and no lights come on or anything. Really annoying and I'm a bit reluctant to now use my one remaining pen drive in case the same thing happens.

crosstrainer 07:05 17 Nov 07

You may have blown the ports on the laptop...No light comes on the pen drive(s) to indicate power?

Nellas 09:31 19 Nov 07

I think the ports are ok - my USB mouse works fine and another pen drive from my work was fine earlier today. It's just my 2 items that seem to have died. No lights come on them at all.

Nellas 04:17 20 Nov 07

Thanks. I'll try that.

€dstowe 06:42 20 Nov 07

Have you been hot-plugging these devices?

USB items - especially drives - should always be disconnected via the "safely remove hardware" facility in Windows. Failing to do this, despite what is claimed about USB being hot-pluggable, can easily result in the device and/or the USB port being destroyed or at least deactivated.

kadar khan 09:18 03 Dec 07

i found the removal tool of sujin.com.np virus.. check this link
click here

Nellas 08:19 11 Dec 07

Thanks for the removal tool. Hopefully I can keep this and Disk Knight off in future. I haven't been hot plugging but i'm resigned to them being unworkable now. Thanks for all your advice.

jolorna 09:16 11 Dec 07

a google search of disk night will explain what is happening to you click here

Switcher 23:39 16 May 08

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced