Pen drive install problem in XP

colin53 10:59 03 Oct 07

USB pen-drive installation problem

Dear sir/madam,

I have recently had a replacement ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard, hard drive, RAM and ATI graphics card. The make and models of these parts (except the graphics card model) are the same as the old ones that were replaced. I used the transfer files wizard in XP to copy my settings to the new hard drive once the PC repairman installed XP.

However, when I plug in my 256mb USB pen-drive, which worked before the replacements were added and still works on my work PC, the add new hardware wizard recognises the “flash drive” and attempts to install it but claims that it cannot find the software to do so and so the pen drive remains uninstalled as confirmed by the Device Manager. I am using windows XP home with service pack 2 and windows update is on so there should be no problems there. Everything else on the PC seems to be working ok. I have checked that the file USBSTOR.sys is present. And I have downloaded the USBSTOR.inf and put in system32/drivers folder? Just in case but that made no difference.

The USB ports seem to work fine I have a USB mouse, printer and scanner that all work ok, I have tried the pen-drive on different USB slots and this did not work.

I thought XP was supposed to use generic drivers for pen-drives that came with no drivers?

What can I do?

colin53 21:22 03 Oct 07

Hi Marg7,

Thanks for the help.

I reinstalled the usb using the USBSTOR.inf i had earlier down loaded. My pen drive works now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5