Pen Drive Files undeleteable ??

roygbiv 16:51 29 Jul 05

Can someone put my mind at rest??

Can files be deleted from a pen drive, and the drive used again ? (like a floppy disc) (delete one file at a time, or do you have to delete/format the drive all in one go. I have a 32mb and 128 mb USB drive (Serif).

The 32mb is used at college and is full, when some old files where (right clicked, deleted) it came up with "drive is write protected" ??.

VoG II 16:53 29 Jul 05

They should be deletable.

Is there a little switch on it? - move it to the 'open padlock' position.

Meshuga 17:01 29 Jul 05

roygbiv, I have the same two pen drives. The 32 mb had a small program on it I found it easy to delete that prog by formatting. As I did not have other data on it I could test deleting individual items. The 128mb is new with no data. I will instal a couple of bits of data and see if individual items can be deleted and post back on the result.

Meshuga 17:08 29 Jul 05

Hi roygbiv, I have just transferred three items of data on to the 32mb pen and then deleted each one individually with no problem. Hope this helps. Meshuga.

roygbiv 17:35 29 Jul 05

128 drive fine.

32mb not delrting ,, the padlock symbol is shoing open (maybe it printed wrong way)

post response button seems to not work, sorry for multiple posts. Alan

roygbiv 16:55 01 Aug 05

over the weekend i had chance to check this out.

the 32mb drive WILL NOT delete files or format with the padlock on or off, I am thinking it is faulty, but ifv so they arec so cheap to just get a new one!!

Quiet Life 14:57 03 Aug 05

Same problem rang manufacturer who said it had to be sent back. As it had private info. on it I decided to forget it but then tried scandisc and format (FAT) on Windows ME on an old machine and it worked. Tried for ages on XP without any success.
Worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…