Pen Drive changes File System

Audeal 12:51 17 Oct 04

Last year a friend visited India and brought me back a 128mb (123 mb to be precise) Pen Drive, (Make unknown). I have been having some problems with losing some of the space when deleting files from it, I doesn't seem to recover all the space which was taken up by the file which I deleted. I am using XP Pro.

This is not the main problem I am having with it though. The main problem is that when I try to copy a file onto the drive I get a warning that this drive does not support long filenames and suggests a shorter name. When I check the Properties of the drive I find the File System has changed from Fat32 to RAW. Can anyone please explain to me why this is happening and how to solve it. The other week I lost everything on it, compleatly, and had to reformat it before I could re-use it again.

Many thanks to you all. Audeal

Audeal 20:27 17 Oct 04

Audeal 23:46 18 Oct 04

bretsky 01:00 19 Oct 04

I think you have a file system conflict, your pen drive is using the RAW file system which is not supported by your pc which only supports FAT32 so this would explain why windows is trying to write to FAT32 and the pen drive is writing to RAW.

click here

bretsky ;0)

recap 09:43 19 Oct 04

Could this drive not be change over to Fat32 when Formatting it?

bretsky 13:02 19 Oct 04

Well this is strange, because I've just looked at my pen drive properties which is an "Integral 256Mb usb 2.0 flash drive" and has a password protected drive(L)which is in the RAW file system and the ordinary drive (J)is in the FAT file system, so that blows my theory clean out the water then!

As for reformatting it, I suppose you could do it???

bretsky ;0)

Audeal 14:26 20 Oct 04

bretsky: Thanks for your reply. I have reformatted the pendrive on several occasions and it always seems to return to the RAW file system.

A few weeks ago I tried to use the drive as I had a lot of Downloaded files on it which I wanted to show my sister and install for her on her machine but when I wanted to add another file I could not access the drive at all. The drive was not recognized at all. In the end I was forced to reformat the drive and therefore I lost all the files on the drive.

I am now hoping someone will come up with an explanation or a cure.

May thanks. Audeal

Audeal 14:18 21 Oct 04

woodchip 14:23 21 Oct 04

You need to use a Fat32 System, I.E. Win98se and format it on that, then DO NOT format with XP NTFS computer. As you will be back to square one

Audeal 16:09 21 Oct 04

woodchip: Thanks for that, the only problem is I don't know anyone now who has win98.

Is it not possible to format it with NTFS as my system is NTFS. could this be the problem, eg. running a drive with Fat32 on a system using NTFS. Would formatting in NTFS or converting from Fat32 solve it. Audeal

€dstowe 16:36 21 Oct 04

I don't have any pen drives but, if I format floppies or Zip discs, these are formatted in FAT or FAT32. This is on machines running XP NTFS. From this, I would have expected that you may be able to format you pen drive similarly. Or have I misunderstood?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…