Peer into your crystal ball ...

Kate B 11:56 12 Mar 03

Not strictly a PC question, but I'd really appreciate your input: I've been asked to write a piece for non-geeks about the technology we'll be using in, say, two years' time as a part of our daily lives.

What do your crystal balls say? Personally, I reckon tablet PCs might find their way into folks' hearts, and I also think Wifi hotspots could become a boon we find we can't live without.

But that's just what I think - what do you guys think?

nightporter 12:18 12 Mar 03

I'd like to see wireless home networks, using Flat screen monitors, cordless mice and keyboards. A monitor in the kitchen (for recipies or food orders), also in bed rooms for kids (homework and the like. Speech recognition would be nice too, so you could control lights, curtains, music by voice. Bit cold in the room? "Temp up 2 degrees" nice.

Patr100 12:28 12 Mar 03

One thing that we could say is that the direction certainly is for the elimination of as many wires and cables as possible.

Aspman 12:32 12 Mar 03

In 2 years I doubt there will be a great deal of difference. Most people will still be using the pc in front of them right now.

Laptop will be more common, as will flat screen monitors and TVs as prices drop. Possibly TVs with integrated internet capability. Expansion of bluetooth wireless devices, simple things like wireless headsets for phones, minidisk players thing like that.

Digital radio will be more common becoming standard issue on new music systems.

Public wireless access will be more common in the cities for your laptop or PDA.

Broadband will probably(I hope) start to be universal over the whole country but by other methods than ADSL and cable. Wireless and powerline broadband will be used out in the rural areas.

Lots of little subtle things I think which you will not be able to take advantage of unless you are able to pay to keep up with the technology.

Only my opinion of course.

Kate B 12:41 12 Mar 03

thanks guys, keep it coming ...

Andsome 13:09 12 Mar 03

I would like to see some kind of method to cut out annoying back ground noise, ( called music by the producers) from TV programmes. What can be more irritating than sitting watching a gardening programme which is ruined by over loud pop. They are even using it on serious discussion programmes and documentaries. How lovely if this sort of noise were added as an option, and we could switch it off.

Goldcroft 13:36 12 Mar 03

Agree with Aspman: two years, even in these quickly evolving times, is too short a timespan to produce dramatic changes. There will be only relatively minor improvements in current technology: broadband, cars, computers, homes etc. Go back to the mag and suggest, say, ten years.

Goldcroft 13:36 12 Mar 03

Agree with Aspman: two years, even in these quickly evolving times, is too short a timespan to produce dramatic changes. There will be only relatively minor improvements in current technology: broadband, cars, computers, homes etc. Go back to the mag and suggest, say, ten years.

Goldcroft 13:38 12 Mar 03

Perhaps there will be technology on sites such as this one to prevent idiots like me from double entry.

recap 13:51 12 Mar 03

Being able to get BroadBand through your electricty line and not having to wait for BT to update their exchanges.

Kate B 14:11 12 Mar 03

Goldcroft, the idea is to forecast how existing technology might have evolved rather than to do a Tomorrow's World-ish glimpse way into the future - I think the evolutionary thang is quite interesting.

Andsome, as a TV critic I kind of agree with you ... but that's outside the scope of the piece I'm doing! I presume you're referring to The Plantsman on BBC2?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…