peer to peer XP ICS Network permissions

Davith 11:56 20 Nov 05

Two XP systems linked with crossover network cable. ICS wizard run on both machines. Link appears to function as I can see a workgroup on one machine showing both machines but as soon as I try and look at the remote machine's shared resource a message appears "\\server is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact Administrator of this server to find if you have access permissions. The network path not found."
When I look at the other machine and try and see the workgroup(MSHOME)a message "MSHOME Group is not accessible. The rest of the message is as above." Both ip addresses have been put into zone alarm Trusted Zone. XP Firewall on Client machine is off. I am logged on as OWNER on both systems so am administrator on both. ideas please.

mgmcc 12:44 20 Nov 05

The claptrap that Windows regurgitates about nobody having permission to do anything is a generic message it displays whenever there is a problem accessing a remote computer over the network. It is unhelpful and frequently incorrect.

<<< ICS wizard run on both machines >>>

"Internet Connection Sharing" should only be enabled on the actual internet connection (modem connection) in the "host" PC. It should not be enabled in the "client" PC's network connections. The "host" PC's Local Area Connection will automatically be given the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - the "client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "host". It should get an address in the same 192.168.0.xxx subnet.

Make sure you have at least one folder set as "shared" in each PC by right clicking it and selecting the "Sharing & Security" option.

In Zone Alarm's "Trusted Zone", click the Add button and select the option to add a "Subnet". Enter:

IP address - 192.168.0.0

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Description - {anything} but it needs an entry.

Try changing Windows' default Workgroup name from MSHOME to a name of your own. There is no logic to this, but doing so has been found in the past to allow network access when all else failed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…