Peer to Peer Problems

Ric42 16:59 06 Sep 05

I do not seem able to use any peer to peer software. I have tried Kazaa, Bit torrent, audible, Lycos’s Rhapsody, e-mule etc none of these work.

The software often crashes when installing often at the point when the programme is trying to access the internet during the installation process (or after installation when it tries to access the internet).

I suspected it may be to do with security settings so I tried the following.

Shutting down all internet security on my PC (Zone Alarm and Norton) and reducing to minimum the security settings on Internet explorer but the problem remains.

My OS in XP.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

sinbad1 17:12 06 Sep 05

I think its probably due to port settings peer to peer uses certain ports for downloading, your firewall may be prventing this.try this one

click here

be aware that spyware and viruses are more likely when using these type of programs.

RS

Ric42 19:16 06 Sep 05

Cheers for that suggestion Sinbad

I tried it and unfortunately had the same problem

I tried both versions available i.e. the one which you do online and the other where you download the whole programme first. The later seemed to install but just freezes/crashes when I try to start the programme just like some of the others Ive tried.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is there something I can do to my port settings to solve this problem?

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

the lone ranger 19:23 06 Sep 05

Try click here I use it and it`s fine except sometimes you have to shutdown your ISP and re-start it when closing the programme.

johnnyrocker 19:35 06 Sep 05

click here bug free, ad free spyware/virus free

johnny.

BBez 15:37 07 Sep 05

you may need to add the program exe's into windows firewall exceptions to get the ports open...

If you switch off the firewall, the service still runs and i had this problem getting my ftp server online...

Goto run then type, services.msc then look for "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" and disable the service to ensure it don't run at startup...

Also, looking for p2p util:

click here

Ric42 18:22 07 Sep 05

That’s great Bbez !

Disabling the "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" did the trick thanks very much that’s been bugging me for ages.

One last question is my computer really vulnerable now I’ve disabled that or will my zone alarm firewall and Norton internet security counteract that?

Thanks once again

Richard

johnnyrocker 18:41 07 Sep 05

you should be well enough protected.

johnny.

BBez 21:09 07 Sep 05

No problem, Windows firewall has caused me a whole host of problems in SP2, even when you turn it off for the network connection, that's how i found out, anyways, as johnnyrocker states, you'll be fine with Zone Alarm and NIS...

BBez 21:11 07 Sep 05

remember and set your security settings in Internet Explorer back to DEFAULT, don't want any malicious sites running dodgy active X or JavaScripts in your browser ;~)

Ric42 17:12 08 Sep 05

That’s been great guys thanks so much now I don’t have to tear any more hair out!

Richard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…