Peer to peer network question

MAC 09:59 28 Aug 03

As recommended to me here I am using Steve?s WinGuides to install a simple peer to peer network between a laptop and a PC with a cross over cable. Both run Windows 98 SE.

The PC has a NIC, and the laptop a Linksys Ethernet 10/100 compact USB network adapter. All hardware is installed correctly according to the device manager.

I have followed the instructions mentioned above but without success. So far all I can see under Network Neighbourhood in Explorer is the machine I am sat at, not the machine I wish to network to.

The instructions advise to manually set the IP address and subnet mask under the TCP/IP entry. My question is should this be done under ?TCP/IP -> dial up adapter? or ?TCP/IP -> Linksys Ethernet 10/100 compact USB network adapter? (and likewise the TCP/IP protocol added by the NIC on the PC)?

If I wish to start again is it a simple task of removing all the protocols, uninstalling the drivers and removing the hardware from device manger to start over?

BigMoFoT 10:01 28 Aug 03

It needs to be done on both - what IP addresses have you chosen?

Taran 10:26 28 Aug 03

It does not need to be done on both devices (dial up adapter and network card) you must specify the IP's on the device you want to use on each machine.

Assign this to the TCP/IP settings on the desktop computer NIC

Now on the Linksys Ethernet 10/100 give it the following:

Make sure both computers have a unique name and that both are on the same Workgroup.

You don't need to assign TCP/IP values to the dial up adapter in your Network Neighbourhood settings. Just leave them alone and assign the values to the specific devices you want to use.

Taran 10:38 28 Aug 03

I should add that once you make your changes and restart the machines, you can verify the connection by opening up a command prompt and pining the other machine.

On the desktop PC, type this into a command prompt then hit Enter:

ping 192.168.10.2

You should get a scrolling message where four data packets are bounced back with reply times listed.

Do the same from the other machine, but this time use the target IP address of the desktop, like this:

ping 192.168.10.1

If both machines are replying to the test data packets sent on the ping command you can start to look elsewhere for you problems.

Two possible points come to mind here:

1. You have to install File sharing (printer sharing too if you want to be able to print from one machine to a printer connected to the other). Make sure you have installed File and Printer sharing to begin with and see how you get along.

2. You will need one or more shared folders on each computer otherwise even if they are connecting they will not show as shared in your network since they have nothing set up to share with one another. Make a test folder with one file in it on the C: drive of each PC and set its properties up for file sharing.

Now see if each machine can see one another. If the ping commands are successful from one to another computer, it is likely that file sharing is not properly set up.

Also keep in mind that on some networks the computers appear to one another almost instantly, while on others it can take several minutes for things to settle down and for each machine to twig that there is, in fact, something connected to it.

Regards

Taran

BigMoFoT 10:42 28 Aug 03

I meant both PC's not both network settings - sorry if it was unclear

MAC 12:35 28 Aug 03

Thank you Taran and BigMoFoT,
I set the IP address to the TCP/IP dial up adapter, not the actual device I want to use. The machines are at a friend?s house so will be reconvening again on Monday when I shall put this right.

I set the IP address?s as 192.168.0.1 (PC) and 192.168.0.2 (laptop). I notice Taran you advise 192.168.10.1 & 10.2. Will this prevent the two machines from being recognised?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Michael Clare

Terrahawk 12:37 28 Aug 03

192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 are perfectly ok

Taran 12:52 28 Aug 03

As Terrahawk says, the IP addresses listed are fine.

The problems would really hit if you used the same address for both machines. When specifying IPs, you have to give each pachine a unique number otherwise your network gets confused over which machine belongs to which number and where the data is to go.

It's a bit like house addresses in a street. If every house had the same number you can imagine the resulting chaos.

Unique IP addresses are essential when you choose to specify your own.

Some people use 191.168.0.0 and up, but I prefer the 192.168.10.1 and up system. It makes little difference to most small networks - I'm just set in my ways.

If you had four machines, you'd address them like this:

They all need the same subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and as I mentioned above, each machine must have its own name but they must all be on the same workgroup.

Good luck with it.

Regards

Taran

Ivor_Monkey 13:05 28 Aug 03

Also don't forget to disable any firewall, including XP's own ICF. Or atleast give access rights. IN the first instance, IMO it is easier to temporarily disable the firewall to ensure that it is not messing up the connection.

MAC 15:34 28 Aug 03

Once again thank you everyone.

I hadn?t taken into account a firewall. The desktop PC has Norton?s Internet Security 2002 running. As you say I shall disable this first to establish the connection then I guess enable it again modifying its settings.

Thank you
Michael Clare

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…