Peer to peer network

Cahul 18:44 30 Oct 03

I wish to network 2 PCs, each having an Ethernet Adapter, such that the first(which has no keyboard, monitor or mouse)will be used for backups only but its files, discs and printer will need to be accessed by the other.

Can this be done using simply a cross-over Cat5e cable instead of a switch and, if so, how should I go about setting everything up?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cahul

A_World_Maker 19:07 30 Oct 03

the crossover cable is perfect :-) for as long as these are the only 2 computers on the adhoc network.

A_World_Maker 19:08 30 Oct 03

Can you tell us what operating systems you are running on each computer?

Cahul 00:03 31 Oct 03

Thanks for the reply. There are only two PCs involved, both using Windows ME.I have a cross-over cable but there is obviously more to it than just connecting the two together with the cable. Is there some particular software program that I should obtain and can both PCs be set up from the PC that has the monitor?

Chegs ? 00:45 31 Oct 03

click here

This software(from Fitshases link) allows me to use my daughters puter from my system,and its free.The only snag you might have is with the PC without keyboard/mouse as previous system I had,on unplugging Keyboard or mouse halted during boot to alert me to this,and I don't recall if it was possible to get puter booted into Windows.

you could make life a little more simple if you use the crossover cable to network the systems and use a 2port KVM switch to share one set of peripherals. a basic KVM is made by belkin for about 25quid from most suppliers.

Cahul 15:03 31 Oct 03

I have checked out the VNC FAQs and it appears that this will require both PCs to have keybooard monitor and mouse unfortunately but the use of the new Belkin 2-port KVM switch plus the cross-over cable would seem to be just what I need.

Thank you all very much for your advice.

Cahul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…