Peer Name Resolution Protocol service failed to start. How do I fix?

numskull 13:53 PM 20 Jul 11

Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 20/07/2011 13:18:56 Event ID: 7000 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Brian-PC Description: The Peer Name Resolution Protocol service failed to start due to the following error: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 PM 20 Jul 11

Read here

numskull 14:58 PM 20 Jul 11

Thanks. Have tried all that but still not joy!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:09 PM 20 Jul 11

Net Logon service or the Windows Time service from Group Policy may cause the issue. You can use the Resultant Set of Policy tool to verify the permissions, as follows:

1. Click Start, click Run, type Rsop.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. Expand the Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\System Services folder.
  3. In the details pane, in the Source GPO column, locate the Group Policy that is applied to the Net Logon service.
  4. Use the Active Directory Users and Computers MMC snap-in or the Group Policy MMC snap-in to edit the Group Policy that you noted in step 3.
  5. Expand the Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\System Services folder.
  6. In the Service Name list, locate and double-click Net Logon.
  7. If the policy setting is defined in the template, the Edit Security button is available. Click Edit Security.

View the list of accounts to make sure that the list is correct. Make sure that the LocalService account is added to the list of accounts and has Full Control permission.

8. Repeat step 3 through 7 for the Windows Time service.
  numskull 10:01 AM 21 Jul 11

Just says, "Windows cannot find Rsop.msc"

numskull 09:39 AM 22 Jul 11

Actually I only have one computer in the house. I do have a devolo Dlan Wireless adapter to get better Wifi on my Iphone so I have disabled the Peer Name Resolution Protocol.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:41 AM 22 Jul 11

RSPO.MSC is available in windows 7

What operating system are you using?

numskull 13:56 PM 22 Jul 11

Using Windows 7 HP

Secret-Squirrel 09:15 AM 23 Jul 11

"the following error: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process"

Try this and let us know what you discover:

1) Click the Start button, type services.msc then hit your Enter key.

2) Locate the "Peer Name Resolution Protocol" service in the list, double click on it, then go to the "Log On" tab. Which option is selected, and if an account is shown, what does it say in the white box?

Also, are you trying to resolve a specific problem on your PC or are you just concerned because you've found an error in Event Viewer and it's bugging you?

numskull 13:32 PM 24 Jul 11

It says local system account. Allow to interact with desktop is unticked. It does not seem to be causing a problem, just bugging me!

numskull 13:33 PM 24 Jul 11

It says local system account. Interact with desktop is unticked. It does not seem to be causing a problem, just bugging me!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites