peer 2 peer network problem!

septic 19:01 24 Oct 04

Have for several years had a 2 PC home network, peer 2 peer via NICs and cross over cables. Today the network failed and I can't see why. I have not installed anything, I've knocked off my anti-virus and firewall in case its shutting out the internet. Still have connection to file sharing but no internet.

any ideas!

easyrider 20:14 24 Oct 04

Some more info on O/S , firewall , etc would be helpful.

LastChip 20:23 24 Oct 04

If you still have file sharing, the network is alive and well.

As easyrider says, we need a little more information about your system to offer any meaningful help.

Operating system(s)?

How do you connect to the Internet?

What is your method of Internet Connection Sharing?

And anything else you may consider useful. For example, have you downloaded any updates?

keith-236785 20:25 24 Oct 04

couple of things to try, if you are using winxp try running the network wizard.

or unplug the network cable and plug in again it may jog its memory but thats unlikely as you say you have networking but no internet.

if still no go, you could uninstall (remove) the network card (in device manager, not actually).

then let windows set up the card again.....you may need a driver disk for this bit so if you haven't got one dont do it. or at least download a driver for the network card first.

next, check the network addresses of both pc's, it might be that they have changed and your client pc cannot see the internet connection sharing.

is ICS (internet connection sharing) enabled?

if not enable it and you should be ok (right click on network card, then properties/advanced.

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…