Peculiar laptop problem

DrScott 08:20 13 Apr 06

I've developed a rather odd problem on my laptop which Google seems unable to solve. Essentially when I turn my laptop on I am unable to see anything on the screen, and cannot access the bios. However, the computer still continues to boot into Windows XP normally, and at that point the screen works and everything is hunky dory! I can't work out why the screen does not work on boot, but will run through windows just fine?!

Does anyone have any ideas?

mgmcc 09:13 13 Apr 06

Probably a "silly" answer, but do you have a "brightness" control (a physical knob to adjust the level) that could have been turned down to minimum but whose setting is subsequently overridden once Windows has booted?

DrScott 09:16 13 Apr 06

No such thing as a silly answer. Well that's what I was always told at school!

The laptop is an Acer Travelmate 800 series - Intel Pentium M / Centrino setup - about 3 years old now. It doesn't have a physical brightness control, but one that is accessed by pressing Fn and then the relevant brightness button. Makes no difference.

Whaty 13:53 13 Apr 06

I have an Acer laptop and during boot up it displays a default 'ACER' screen, I wonder if that has been deleted, moved, or corrupted?

I'm sorry but I've no idea how to check this.

Just a thought?

DrScott 14:08 13 Apr 06

No Acer screen. The computer must be POST-ing okay because it continues to Windows XP.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 13 Apr 06

Boot to BIOS (F1, F2, or CTRL+ALT+ESC for acer machines)

disable the Acer splash screen it is written to BIOS on a lot of laptops

DrScott 22:08 13 Apr 06

Thanks, but that's kind of the whole point! I can't any sort of picture or screen on the initial boot sequence, so I can't boot to the bios! It's a blank screen right up until windows XP kicks in... it's very strange.

woodchip 22:13 13 Apr 06

Acer screen, is built into the BIOS so BIOS must be corrupt. Well that's how I see it.

I say this as Acer and others do have custom BIOS's created

DrScott 12:29 14 Apr 06

Is there anyway of altering the Bios from windows?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:09 14 Apr 06

Try pressing (F1, F2, or CTRL+ALT+ESC for acer machines) as it boots, it should bypass the splash screen and boot into BIOS which you should beable to see.

Noway of getting to BIOS from windows.

BIOS can be reset to default values by removing CMOS battery for 10 mins or so.

DrScott 17:06 14 Apr 06

I did try those combinations, but to no avail. I'll give it another go later - having tried pressing delete in the past, I suspect it may have entered the Bios but I couldn't see anything. Anyway, I'll try again and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…