Peculiar happening with new printer install

Andsome 08:38 07 Nov 06

My printer packed up so I uninstalled it and installed a new Epson Stylus Photo R340. Everything is fine, but I am getting what I would consider to be an unusual happening with it. There is a small permanent icon in the bottom right hand corner which if I hover over it, it displays as Epson R340. Those of you who use a plug in hard drive will be aware of the small icon which appears when the device is switched on, which if you hover over it, says Safely remove hardware. When I switch on this printer this icon appears, and in my computer is shown as a removable hard drive. If I click on the safely remove hardware icon it shows as a USB mass storage device, the same as the removable hard drive has always done. If I switch on the removable hard drive this is now demoted to Drive H, and the printer has taken over as Drive G.

I am getting no problems and everything works fine. I am however very puzzled.

anskyber 08:43 07 Nov 06

This is a nonsense suggestion but here goes. Is it possible given that printers have a small on board memory that it has been confused with a memory device?

Steve- 09:03 07 Nov 06

This Icon is probably refering to the built in memory card reader on the printer.

jack 09:14 07 Nov 06

Confirming Steve's comment
The printer has a camera media card reader built in
Right hand side of the body under a hinged flap.
That is what this is referring to.
The printer will also operate independent of the computer for photo printing- but will only print images as on the card - no or very little correction /manipulation possible.

Andsome 11:54 07 Nov 06

The point about the card reader being considered as a memory device does make sense. By the way, the printer is great and I would recommend it so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…