pdf problems

Astrid 09:21 04 May 09

My operating system is Windows XP SP3, and until a few days ago I had no problem reading a pdf file with Adobe reader. Now, whenever I try to read one my computer struggles for a while, fails to download and then restarts. I know it isn't the fault of the sender of the file as even those read some time ago successfully now do the same. Is this a problem easily solved?

QuizMan 09:37 04 May 09

I do not know what is causing your problem, but try another PDF reader. Foxit is excellent & far superior to Adobe Reader because it is so much quicker. click here

Technotiger 09:51 04 May 09

I had a similar problem yesterday reading PDF which normally was straightforward, I was advised to use ...

click here

I did, and was then able to read the PDF - don't ask me how this works, but it does, or it did for me. So worth a try I reckon.

DieSse 10:10 04 May 09

Yours was an entirely different situation - the file was a compressed file, not a pdf - that's why you needed the decompressor.

DieSse 10:11 04 May 09

You could try uninstalling your current pdf program, then downloading and installing the latest version from the Adobe site.

Astrid 10:42 04 May 09

I've tried to uninstall Adobe Reader but whenever the uninstallation gets to a certain point (about 6 seconds from completion) my computer restarts. I'm about to try Foxit, if for no other reason than desperation. I use Kaspersky Internet Security and am certain there's no virus on my system. I've removed stray Adobe files manually, also. It does appear that my system is a little destabilized by all the different methods I'm using.

Technotiger 10:51 04 May 09

Hi, the file I was having trouble with was a PDF file (Presario Maintenance and Service Guide), it was not in Zipped format!

Sea Urchin advised me to try 7Zip, he could not explain it either, but it worked and I was able to read the PDF file with my PDF Converter 4Pro.

Astrid 10:57 04 May 09

I downloaded Foxit and can now read the PDF files ok. Thank you for the advice. However, I still wonder what went wrong with Adobe and if I've really fixed the situation of restarting. Maybe it doesn't matter any more?

Sea Urchin 11:00 04 May 09

The file TT downloaded yesterday was a .rar file which as DieSse says is a compressed file

click here

Using 7zip (or winrar etc) unzipped it to its original PDF form when it could be opened by a PDF reader.

Sea Urchin 11:01 04 May 09

The reason I said it was odd was that the site claimed a PDF file was being downloaded when in fact it turned out to be a compressed PDF file.

Technotiger 11:12 04 May 09

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess it was the PDF label that confused me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…