pdf files opening in Office Picture Manager

Buffy's mum 15:49 10 Sep 08

Hi everyone. Maybe this should be in the newby forum - apologies if so! Until recently, pdf files opened and ran properly in Adobe. Last week, suddenly, when I get email pdf attachments they automatically try to open in office picture manager. I have to copy in to Adobe to open or save then right click and choose to open in Adobe. Can anyone tell me why and where I need to go to in my system to correct this? (I'm running XP prof.)Many thanks!

Clapton is God 15:56 10 Sep 08

Open Picture Manager. On the tool bar click Tools; File Types. If PDF is ticked; un-tick it and click OK.

Buffy's mum 16:04 10 Sep 08

Hi Clapton is God - opened mopm and the following files were checked: JPEG, GIP, BMP, PNG. The following were not checked: TIFF, WMF, EMF. No other file types available?

Clapton is God 16:07 10 Sep 08

Try un-ticking all file types in Picture Manager and then see what happens when you open a PDF.

If you regularly use Picture Manager, make a note of which file types you're un-ticking!

Buffy's mum 16:13 10 Sep 08

ok, just unchecked everything then tried the pdf attachment in the email again. Straight to mopm with the little square adobe logo in the middle of the screen (this is how it showed before.)Double checked that all the file types were unchecked and this is def the case. Not sure whether it's related, but if I go to Start, Programmes, Adobe, then click the arrow next to it, it says "empty". Adobe 9 is listed seperately further down the programmes list??

Clapton is God 16:50 10 Sep 08

Try un-installing Adobe. Clean with CCleaner. Re-install Adobe.

Buffy's mum 16:54 10 Sep 08

Will give this a try now - sorry but am clearly not that literate - what's CCleaner please?!

pj123 16:58 10 Sep 08

Alternatively, uninstall Adobe Reader altogether and download Foxit

click here

Clapton is God 16:59 10 Sep 08

CCleaner is crap cleaner. It cleans all the c*** from your PC. It's also a gentle registry cleaner.

Regularly and highly recommended in these Forums.

I would suggest that if you haven't used it before that you forget it for now!

Just un-install and re-install Adobe.

Buffy's mum 17:01 10 Sep 08

ok thanks - will leave CCleaner and just read up on it for now. Will un-install and then re-install Adobe and see what happens. PJ123 - what's Foxit?

Clapton is God 21:09 10 Sep 08

Foxit is a less resource hungry alternative to Adobe with which to open PDF files.

├četa
Read Buffy's mum's first post - she's using XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…