PDF Files / Attachments

Iceman244 19:37 14 Aug 05

I have been sent an email with information attached that I need to read.

But at the top of the email it says OE has removed the unsafe attachments followed by a number.

The attachments have been sent in pdf form and the email says that the files can be opened and printed on acrobat reader.

I have downloaded adobe reader so why do they not open and what does it mean when it says OE has removed unsafe attachments.

I would be grateful for some help here, as I need to read these attachments.

Thanks in advance

Iceman.

Diodorus Siculus 19:41 14 Aug 05

With the introduction of Outlook Express 6, Microsoft has added an additional feature to prevent customers from infecting their machines with viruses. Outlook Express uses the Internet Explorer unsafe file list and the Confirm open after download setting in Folder Options to determine if a file is safe. Any e-mail attachment with a file type that is reported as "unsafe" is not downloaded, and access to the attachment is removed.

However there are times, you may want to view an attachment that Outlook Express has deemed as unsafe. In these cases, follow these instructions to allow Outlook Express to show the attachment.

1. Start Outlook Express.

2. On the Tools menu, click Options.

3. Click the Security tab, click to clear the Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus check box under Virus Protection, and then click OK.

Stuartli 21:02 14 Aug 05

This feature can prove a nuisance in OE and is best permanently disabled.

The feature in OE that should be PERMANENTLY disabled is the Preview Pane - even clicking on an e-mail containing a virus can start it doing its dirty work.

Disabling the Preview Pane prevents this happening and also enables a suspect e-mail to be safely read by highlighting it and selecting Properties.

The header can then be read along with the message itself by using the Message button; any doubts and you should keep Cancelling and then, whilst the e-mail is still highlighted, delete it using the Toolbar's Delete button.

Batch 09:31 15 Aug 05

If you don't want to do as Diodorus Siculus suggests, a quick one off workaround for the email concerned is to select or open the email and click on Forward. The email will then be opened ready for forwarding. You should then be able to see the attachment and click on it to open it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…