PDF file problem in IE6

Bantam007 23:42 24 Nov 03

Whenever I open a pdf file when online with Internet Explorer 6, running under Windows 98, IE6 locks up and I can't get out of it without having to reboot the computer. I've tried going back to older versions of Acrobat Reader but it hasn't made any difference.

DieSse 23:59 24 Nov 03

Have you tried the newest version of Acrobat Reader? - V6

Bantam007 00:05 25 Nov 03

I don't think Acrobat Reader V6 is compatible with Windows 98, you need Windows 98SE as a minimum.

Wak 09:54 25 Nov 03

Instead of trying to open a PDF file from the web site, download the file to your desktop and then open it with Acrobat.

Bantam007 10:35 25 Nov 03

Often I find that I click on a link that automatically starts Acrobat Reader when I'm not expecting it. Anyway my point is That I didn't use to have this problem until recently when Acrobat 5 installed an update. I tried un-installing and re-installing and even went back to version 4 but the problem won't go away.

BigMoFoT 13:37 25 Nov 03

You will need version 5.5 which is available from click here. Completely remove all instances of Adobe and ensure only the 5.5 is installed. This is the version compatible with IE6.

Bantam007 13:58 25 Nov 03

Thanks for that BigMoFoT, I assume you mean version 5.05 which was the version I had been using when Acrobat installed it's update. Following your link and checking the system requirements of the various versions of Acrobat, I appear to be in a "Catch-22" situation, because only version 6 seems to be compatible with IE6 but of course it's not compatible with Windows 98. Guess I'd better start thinking about upgrading to XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…