pdf file

charlton200 16:50 02 Sep 03

hello,

my wife has just started a on-line course and she is having trouble opening pdf files she has emailed the course but might have to wait a while for a response.

when you click on the pdf file just a white screen comes up .we have acrobat 5 ,so i thought this would open the files.

any ideas would be appreciated.

cheers.

alcudia 16:58 02 Sep 03

Try downloading the file first. Right click on it and choose Save target as, then choose a location on your pc. It probably appears white because it has not fully downloaded and will not open until it has done so. Much quicker to get them to your machine first.

leo49 17:08 02 Sep 03

Could try downloading the latest version 6 now rechristened Acrobat Reader

click here

Regards

Pesala 17:34 02 Sep 03

Why, oh why, did Adobe rename Acrobat Reader? It has caused no end of confusion. It has, in fact been renamed "Adobe Reader" not "Acrobat Reader."

The blank white page problem is because Internet Explorer is taking time to download a large file. PDF files are often quite large. They should appear once they have fully downloaded.

As Alucidia says, right-click and save to disk first, then open in Adobe Reader, but it won't download any quicker. It just seems quicker because you can watch the progress indicator instead of a blank white screen.

Version 6.0 is worth the 16 Mbyte download unless you have a slow PC (my 1Ghz AMD Athlon copes just fine). The read aloud feature is pathetic, but other enhancements are worth having.

Belatucadrus 17:44 02 Sep 03

I've given up viewing PDFs in the browser window because it takes so long to download them, I generally download the file with Download Express click here then open with Reader 6. Much less frustrating, Oh well roll on broadband.

palinka 19:54 02 Sep 03

as others have said - download it first and save it (as you would any file) by giving it a name, saying where you want it saved to, etc.
Then open it with Adobe.
I now use Adobe 6 (or whatever it's now called) but I remember an earlier version where instead of clicking on the file to open it I had to open pdf, then go to File, Open, and select the file I wanted to open -ie the one I'd saved somewhere. Later versions of Adobe seem to accept the more normal file opening method.

alcudia 08:36 03 Sep 03

If version 6 of the "Reader" is too big to download you can always get it from a cover disc. Well worth having for some of the extra features. While the download of .pdf files won't be any quicker, at least you will only have to do it once for each one.

To the others.
Is it this Reader that's responsible for something called PrintMe Internet Printing as this appeared on my PC at the same time.

-pops- 08:41 03 Sep 03

Yes.

Don't know what PrintMe Internet Printing I supposed to do though.

Taff36 08:43 03 Sep 03

Print Me is included in Adobe Reader 6.0 but not yet worked out what it does.

Pesala 21:12 03 Sep 03

A service for business travellers who don't want to lug a portable printer around with them.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…