PCWorld Products Support - is it worth it?

Welshguy 19:24 PM 18 Nov 12

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop which is a few years old now and when I bought it I was persuaded to take out a Business Products product support agreement at £13.21 per month. I have not had to use this at all and wondered if it was worth it. Comments please.

Taff™ 19:40 PM 18 Nov 12

Ah! Did you buy this through their PCW Business section because if so, it's completely different to buying as a consumer. Even now £13.21 is an odd amount so I would like to know what this "Policy" entails and what it cover. How old is this Laptop and exactly which model?

This could be a Business type insurance cover which would replace your laptop should it fail. In which case we don't want to stop paying it now! After all £13 a month is roughly £150 a year. If it's over 4 years old it's paid for itself from the insurers point of view. Post back with some more info please.

john bunyan 19:44 PM 18 Nov 12

I have a very good local repair man who charges about £45 or so for most repairs. A new screen was £120. I think if you have a good local guy and remember to (albeit mentally) put aside the same amount, it would pay you to do so. Obviously if your business depend on a quick response, that may be different.

john bunyan 19:44 PM 18 Nov 12

I have a very good local repair man who charges about £45 or so for most repairs. A new screen was £120. I think if you have a good local guy and remember to (albeit mentally) put aside the same amount, it would pay you to do so. Obviously if your business depend on a quick response, that may be different.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:54 PM 18 Nov 12

£160 a year, It probably doesn't cover accidental breakage anyway

that's a reasonable new laptop every 2.5 years and the first year would be free warranty anyway.

Taff™ 20:04 PM 18 Nov 12

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - totally agree but that's why I asked the questions I did. Business cover at the price quoted will cover much more than a normal consumer cover.I had a business cover client who similarly had no claim for several years, (In my case 3 years) then the HDD failed and was replaced on site next day. Two months later the CD ROM failed. (The sent that by courier and I replaced it myself.) Then the motherboard failed about 6 months later - this time they replaced the entire computer FOC.

Woolwell 21:25 PM 18 Nov 12

Is the price of £13.21 a rental (smartplan) figure?

Welshguy 11:08 AM 20 Nov 12

Sorry for the delay in getting back to what seems like a very comprehensive set of answers. It is business cover. I bought it with the laptop in January 2009. So it is getting on a bit now, and I would guess that hanging on to the cover is probably a good thing now that I've reached this far with the Vaio. I guess the big question is - when do I trade in?

Welshguy 11:10 AM 20 Nov 12

The model is VGN-FW21E

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:26 AM 20 Nov 12

Sony VAIO EH2A4E/B is the newer version of your machine cost £330, just over two years worth of your cover.

Welshguy 11:44 AM 20 Nov 12

Oh, and it does include accidental cover.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED