PCTools Registry Mechanic 5

freaky 20:51 20 Oct 05

After reading the review in PCA December edition about this product, I bought and downloaded it this evening - it found 824 problems!

As the PC is over 4 years old I expected it to find some problems, it originally had Windows ME plus loads of programs installed/uninstalled, but not 824 problems!

I had used the freeware RegCleaner on it and it found a few problems. So I must say I am very impressed with the results.

Needless to say, I have not yet done anything about the problems until I read the instructions!

I would be interested to hear if any members are currently using it, and their experiences so far.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:57 20 Oct 05

To quote Mr Langa.....'There are several reasons for the disparity in those error counts. First there's the matter of simple semantics: At one end of the spectrum, there are Registry errors that -- if not corrected -- may make a system unbootable or unstable, or that may cause some of your software to crash or to malfunction. But at the other end of the spectrum, there are trivial, transient Registry items that are intended for short-term use, that harm nothing when they go out of date, and that are ultimately self-correcting via normal Windows housecleaning. Naturally, counting these latter as "errors" drives up the count and lets a given piece of software generate impressive-looking stats; but removing those "errors" doesn't mean much in terms of a real benefit.' I think you will find most of the errors are self-correctable.

freaky 21:10 20 Oct 05

I take your point, but these 824 'problems' as such, are in fact taking up disk space, also would slow the PC on bootup due to the time taken to scan the registry. Probably by not much, but accumalitive as time goes on.

phil46 22:25 20 Oct 05

I myself don't like Reg machanic if your running W2000 or XP there is a little gem called Reg cleaner XP it's by luxun freeware an American company type
it into google you should find it,it's very easy to use you wait for the 15 boxs to fill then the errors will show i had 120 you select all then click fix and watch your problems disappear and it will even fit on a floppy disk.

VoG II 22:31 20 Oct 05

I think you mean RegscrubXP, phil46.

It is my favourite as well and you can download it if you click here

phil46 00:57 21 Oct 05

Thanks for that VoG.

GANDALF <|:-)> 01:48 21 Oct 05

As FL said, many of the 'problems are cleared by Windows without any input from humans.

G

wolfie3000 04:39 21 Oct 05

i find regseeker good for xp

click here

wolfie3000 04:40 21 Oct 05

forgot to mention always backup your registry before deleting just in case.

freaky 10:10 22 Oct 05

Thanks for the replies........PC Tools Registry Cleaner incorporates an automatic backup utility.

Each 'problem' that it detects, and you 'fix' is automatically backed up. If there is a subsequent problem, then you can restore it (fingers crossed!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…