PCs not seeing each other.

upzidedown 09:06 08 Oct 06

Sorry if this one has been cracked before.
I am no expert so I would like some help. This is my last resort by the way, having tried various experts in stores and, sad to say the well know book written for Dummies. I have 2 desktop PCs, both Dell/WinXP and both getting the internet OK via a 3com wireless router.

Problem: File sharing. It would seem that both PCs are unable to see each other, (that's what I think anyway). The host can ping the router, itself and the client. The client can ping the router and the host but not itself...That's if it does need to ping itself. When security is enabled on the router the client goes off-line but the host is OK. Both are in the same name workgroup and both have their own names and use the same SSID and are using the same WEP key. When firing up the client, it was giving the message, 'network cable unplugged', but there's never been a cable. I've disabled the client LAN to silence the message, which just leaves it with the Belkin wireless adapter. Taking down both firewalls makes no difference.
Any help would be very much appreciated...

STREETWORK 09:12 08 Oct 06

Unless you make files 'shared' on the host any client will not be able to see any shared files or folders. This link may assist you...

click here;en-us;308582&sd=tech

STREETWORK 09:13 08 Oct 06

click here;en-us;308582&sd=tech

STREETWORK 09:13 08 Oct 06

The link is not working so I have pasted it here

"click here;en-us;308582&sd=tech"

remove the quotes

STREETWORK 09:15 08 Oct 06

Still not giving the link

Google search for - work drive - it will appear at the top...

RonB 10:12 08 Oct 06

Are u running Norton security? if so this is possibly the problem it has its own firewall which stops networked pc's seeing or sharing with each other . it does have a network setup wizard which you need to run. This usually cures it sometimes after a reboot as well

ade.h 15:20 08 Oct 06

If you need to post one of the older MSKB links with the semi-colons, you can use TinyURL or an equivalent. click here

STREETWORK 18:52 08 Oct 06

cheers ade.h...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac