PCMCIA firewire/usb card wont work

adrian.d 23:45 21 Jun 05

Can anyone shed any light on why I cannot install a new usb2/firewire card in my laptop running XP Home? I bought it to replace what I thought was a faulty 4 port firewire card. It looks as if the first card might be ok now.

When inserted they both show in device manager but with the alert sign and the error code 10 This device cannot start. I have tried all known methods (to me at least) including removing and reinstalling etc.

I now wonder if there is a fault with the laptop? Any ideas?

Adrian

adrian.d 21:25 23 Jun 05

Still stuck here. Any ideas folks?

Adrian

woodchip 21:29 23 Jun 05

When you say removing do you mean uninstall from Device Manager? If no, then try it that way

adrian.d 21:45 23 Jun 05

Both, via Device manager then removing card and reinserting and shutting down the computer and starting with the card in. Seems I've tried all methods.

Adrian

woodchip 21:47 23 Jun 05

What Chipset is the Motherboard? Do You Know?

woodchip 21:57 23 Jun 05

You may have to try another card. But it may be windows file corruption. If you have a Full XP System disc put in in comp the from run type SFC /SCANNOW

adrian.d 22:01 23 Jun 05

Not sure about the chipset. Will try your other suggestion with the Windows disk.

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Adrian

woodchip 22:08 23 Jun 05

Run this for a run down on your computer click here

adrian.d 23:34 23 Jun 05

Tried the file scan to no avail. Also downloaded the Everest program. Seems my chipset is an SIS 650.

I'll try to borrow another card from somebody. I cant afford to keep buying them. I'll post my results. Thanks for your help.

Adrian

woodchip 20:15 24 Jun 05

You could try getting a Update Driver for the SIS chipset

woodchip 20:16 24 Jun 05

Did you load the Software before you put the card in?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…