PCLinuxOS 2007

skidzy 19:33 08 Oct 07

Hello all

In due course im going to try out PCLinuxOS 2007 on a new system ive built.This is a new toy to me,and would like to get to grips with Linux.

Now ive tried playing with Ubuntu in the past,and basically got nowhere.

Im posting this request to ask for any tips please.

I hope to dual boot this Linux version with XP PRO.

This is the guideline i was hoping to use,however if there is a better and easier way...please let me know click here

As some will know,i rebuild/new build socket 478's for friends and there children who have little money.
Now MS windows can make the project expensive,long term plan would be to install Linux as a basic operating system if possible.

As usual,all advice welcome and appreciated.

Thankyou
Skidzy

skidzy 21:12 08 Oct 07

^^^^^

skidzy 22:13 08 Oct 07

Ok just had a look around with the live cd and i must say...what an improvement from Ubuntu.
A lot easier to understand but after using MS Windows for so long,its going to be a job understanding and finding my way around.

Next job is to create a couple of partitions and install XP PRO and PCLinuxOS 2007 and try to dual boot the system.

Maybe at the weekend i will give this a go.

Though any tips are still welcome please.

bluesbrother 23:09 08 Oct 07

Lots of info here click here Pretty heavy reading though.

I've only ever used Partition Magic to duel boot a couple of versions of windows, worked a treat, should work just as well with Linux. Good Luck.

PS A great site for anyone thinking about Linux but not sure which version suits them best. click here

skidzy 23:18 08 Oct 07

thankyou for the links,however the first link fails me in Firefox and IE7.
Possibly a busy server and will try again tomorrow.

I do believe PCLinux 2007 has the partition tools,i just done a dummy run but will know more at a later date.

Thankyou for the input.

Mac70 00:20 09 Oct 07

Once you have defragged MS, you can do an auto install using up some of the free space. It's been some time since I did an install where MS was well dug in.
And a very long time since I did a complete manual install. (which didnt work too well)

Have a look here.
click here

DieSse 00:50 09 Oct 07

PCLinuxOS is good. Kubuntu is worth a look - this is the version that uses the KDE desktop, as does PCLOS.

Suse v10.3 - released a couple of days ago, is also very good indeed - very polished and professional looking. This allows you to choose KDE or Gnome desktops - and has elements of the new KDE4 (not fully out until later) KDE4 is very smart indeed.

You can also try (K)Ubuntu version 7.1 which is nearly at final release (later this month) and also looking very whizzy - much nicer than 7.04 IMO.

If you can get the Compiz modules working on the hardware you're trying it on - then it rivals Aero in Vista (but runs on much lower performance systems.)

On olderrrr, slowerrrr systems Puppy Linux is amazing - it can run completely in 128MB RAM - never actually needs a hard drive. It'll also run from the Live CD and can save the changes you make to it's setup into a Windows partition - so you don't keep going back to scratch when reboot with the CD. It'll also run from a USB stick totally and completely.

I do recommend you try various ones out with the live CDs - they don't install anything onto your system, and need no partitioning. Slower than from a hard drive, of course - but great for getting a feel for how they work.

Morning skidzy,
heres a link,youve probably seen it but here goes
click here&

Ive only tried a kubuntu dual boot but managed to mess it up lol,somehow lost windows in the process but luckily had a acronis image back up to fall back on.

Ill watch your thread with interest as im itching to have another go,my pc is a 5 yr old P4 socket 478,so interested how you get on with drivers etc.

enabling beryl
click here
forum
click here

skidzy 06:56 09 Oct 07

thankyou for that info and now you have given me a real headache Lol.

Well the first install didnt go well,i tried to use the format option given in PCLinuxOS to install on the hdd,seemed to work (was then planning a fresh install of xp).

Then when i tried to reboot without the live cd,blue screen of death stating the error codes,basically xp corrupted.Ive left the system like that for now and will repair this over the next few days or just format the drive and start with a fresh install of Linuxos and then try loading xp.

There is a lot to go on from the info you guys have given me,and will take some time,so please bear with me.

Again,thankyou to all,it is appreciated.

skidzy 07:05 09 Oct 07

no i had not seen your link and can now see where i went wrong,thankyou.

Watch this space.
Cheers again.

dms05 09:06 09 Oct 07

I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 on both my laptops which already had XP installed. No problems just don't chose the 'use entire disk' option which will overwrite XP. I used the PCLinux 2007 auto partitioning without a problem and chose the appropriate disk space I wanted to use for Linux. One laptop has 30GB HDD the other 100GB. I'm using a total of 10GB for all the Linux partitions on each HDD.

In use PCLinuxOS 2007 closely resembles an XP desktop and you will feel at home if you are an XP user.

You can also read/write between the Linux and XP partitons provided XP is FAT formatted. It means I can run my OpenOffice spreadsheets from either operating system but only have one master copy.

Otherwise Firefox and Thunderbird or Opera are almost identical. Skype is a little more restricted on Linux (mine doesn't have Video ability).

PCLinuxOS 2007 loads quicker than XP and individual programs seem to load quicker.

Finally I have mine on dual boot using GRAB on one machine and LILO on the other but both with XP set as default (but it could be Linux if I wanted) and I chose which OS to use when I boot.

Give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…