PC/laptop wifi network - want rid of PC - help!

mplus4 23:56 13 May 06

Recently bought laptop which I got connected to internet through my desktop PC with Netgear router, intending to just use laptop for pottering about online when in other rooms.
However now realise can do perfectly well without PC as laptop higher spec than I first anticipated.
So what do I need to do if I get rid of PC? (Both run XP). Laptop will still need to be wifi.
Printer and router are in one room and laptop in another - how do I get laptop talking to printer?
Any other implications/problems I might not have thought of? Am happy about moving data etc from one machine to other.

Taff™ 08:46 14 May 06

Assuming the Netgear router is wireless, you have a couple of choices. If the printer is USB you can buy a wireless router with a USB print server built in. click here and sell your existing one.

Alternatively you can buy a plug in Network Print server click here and hard wire it from your existing router - assuming it has ethernet ports.

mplus4 14:30 15 May 06

Thanks for info. Think I will just connect printer direct to laptop as and when I need it which is not that often now.

TIZWIZ 22:01 21 May 06

I have just installed a netgear router to my pc and is working ok.
How do i switch on the wifi on my sons laptop so that he can get on the net from upstairs?
Iam really fed up with hours of trying!

Devil Fish 23:16 21 May 06

you will be better off starting your own thread
on you will get more response

Taff™ 23:40 21 May 06

Go to the Networking Forum click here and start a new subject entitled "Switching On Wi-Fi on a laptop" - there`s a link at the top of the first post.

In the message tell us what make and model the laptop is - we`ll get back to you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…