PCI USB 2.0 installation problem

amateurann 22:40 31 Aug 06

Bought a new PCI ALi USB 2.0 card (4 ext, 2 int)to replace defunct old one but can't get it to work.Device manager reports error code 28 for ALi usb2.0 root hub, and error code 1 for Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller ( three lines).ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller seems to be the only line that is OK.
I am running Windows XP Home sp2 and updates and thought drivers should be automatically installed. Have tried using installation disc supplied, searched the internet and have removed and reinstalled card twice. Am now fed up and v.tired. (Have installed a new wireless card tonite with no probs.) Any replies will be gratefully received and acknowledged tomorrow evening after work. Thankyou

Rossi#1 23:02 31 Aug 06

Is this any help click here

amateurann 07:59 01 Sep 06

Rossi#1 Thanks but already tried that

Diemmess 08:42 01 Sep 06

Like you I feel you are missing something which ought to be obvious.

The only thing I can suggest - you mention 2 internal ports.
Are these connected now? If they are, then disconnect temporarily and then use Device Manager for another total removal of every reference to USB, reboot and let it go all through finding the correct drivers once again!

A forlorn hope, but if the internal ports are wrongly connected then all sorts of mischief can follow.

amateurann 20:45 01 Sep 06

Thank for the help. I took the card out plus uninstalled my old USB 1 card. Swapped a card for something else I knew worked , reinstalled everything and bingo. Success.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…