pci usb 2

solidair 11:04 17 Nov 05

i have installed a pci usb 2 card, it is picked up and drivers are installed but when i plug in my usb 2 external hard drive windows tells me "this device can work faster if u connect it to a hi-speed usb 2 port for a list of available ports look here" it then tells me there are no usb 2 ports installed! why

Diemmess 13:28 17 Nov 05

Are you using Windows 98/SE?

Diemmess 13:39 17 Nov 05

If you are using Win98SE you will need to install USB 2 drivers that came with the card.

If you are using Win2000 or XP have a look at the bottom of the list in Device Manager.
You should see an item "USB 2 Root Hub" If it is not there or there are yellow and black exclamation marks, delete the whole USB list and reboot the computer.
That should make Windows install new USB drivers.

Skyver 15:43 17 Nov 05

It will show up as `Enhanced etc etc` USB driver if it's detected as USB 2.

fitcher 23:26 25 Nov 05

personaly I think on some old motherboards putting another usb 2 pci card in makes no difference .still you get usb 1 ..I have the same problem on an old pc, it says you are connecting a high speed hub to a slower usb one ..even with usb 2 drivers .all usb root hubs are clear in hardware devices .

jack 09:21 26 Nov 05

Fitcher may have a point - PCI USB cards may have their own processor but coBo rules the roost.
I have a similar situation.
MY 64bit MoBo is USB2- I have a USB2 PCI card also
giving noew a total of 7 USB ports - but I also have a USB 1 hub from the old set up - This is regognised as USB1 by the printer[say] and tells me the same warning - even though the USB1 hub is plugged into a MoBo USB 2 socket.
In the event is makes no difference to your pereception of operatability of your machine as you sit there - its just another nag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…