PCI Universal Serial Bus?

Diemmess 08:47 05 Sep 03

Have replaced a dead motherboard for a friend with a Socket A Matsonic MS814147C (VIA KT400) chipset.

All bells and whistles seem to be working (Win98SE) but in Device Manager a "?" persists in "Other Devices". It lists a PCI Universal Serial Bus.

I suspect that I can remove this in the BIOS - I got rid of a similar warning about PCI LAN by disabling in the BIOS because he doesn't have a LAN card. I suspect that if I can find the correct part of the BIOS I can be rid of this tiny wound to my pride................Any ideas please?

The USB part of Device Manager is up and working for his printer and scanner.

Bodi 08:54 05 Sep 03

This rang vague bells somewhere in the depths of memory. Used to come up when using Windows 95 and the PCI Universal Serial Bus should to come on the motherboard drivers CD Rom - er I think.

What happens when you remove it from Device Manager? After reboot, obviously Windows will try and reinstall it, but can't it be found somewhere on the Windows installation CD?

Bodi

Diemmess 09:22 05 Sep 03

Thanks Bodi

Yes I have tried letting Windows find the stuff in the right cab file, but it moans that it can't find it.

The mobo CD is not exactly intuitive, but in stages I fed all the drivers it offered.......... The trouble is that there is no clue in device manager as to what might use the PCI USB anyway and since nothing screams for it, I am hoping the answer lies in the Bios

Diemmess 09:55 05 Sep 03

After your suggestion (which proved to be right) I phoned Tech support who suggested that the Driver had to be on the mobo CD...........
So I crashed around the re-install driver routine and in the depths of the CD the OK button apeared...........I let it do its thing and now all is clear.

It seemed it was trying to install the "VIA Enhanced Host Controller PCI to USB" It is easy to be wise after the event! ...Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…