PCI slots

karmgord 16:40 09 Feb 04

My PCI slots are numbered 1 to 4 can I asume that the slots have priority in that order?

woodchip 16:43 09 Feb 04

No you should be able to use any order but I would think if they are numberd that Numb 1 would be nearest to the PCI bus

karmgord 16:48 09 Feb 04

Is being nearest on PCI slot better? (higher priority or faster) or is there no differrence in which slot you choose!

swanson2 16:54 09 Feb 04

I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever.

It just allows you to record what PCI cards you have installed in which slot number.

Patr100 17:05 09 Feb 04

Occasionally, if you encounter a conflict or problem installing a PCI card, moving it to another slot may help but initially just choosing any free one should be OK.

the-george 17:34 09 Feb 04

It makes sense to record which device(expansion card) is installed in which slot because (I think) that once a device is installed in a PCI slot and drivers are installed then it is slot specific. So,if the system is dismantled for any reason the devices should go back in the same slots or the device drivers will have to be reinstalled.
I do not think this was the case with the older ISA slots and a device could be moved without reinstalling drivers.

Stuartli 17:46 09 Feb 04

You shouldn't have any problems whatever slot you use - occasionally, in fact, you may have to move a PCI card to another slot because a new card might not fit alongside it (perhaps a graphics card with a big fan).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…