PCI Simple Communications Device

Gigs 11:51 19 May 05

I have set up a microphone in order to use Skype but cannot get it to work.
I have followed all the setup instructions to no avail.
In volume control the advanced settings are greyed out and I have no advanced tab at all under 'microphone' I also cannot get 'mic boost'
When I look in device manager I have the yellow question matk against the PCI Simple Communications Device. Try to update the driver it states no driver is necessary or installed. Anyway this device is not working properly.
I assume this may be my problem.
I have the original installation disc and have tried updating the drivers from that but it still shows as not working.
I am running Winxp pro. My sound card is a Cmedia CMI8738/C3DX PCI.

Can anyone tell me please how to fix the yellow tick problem or how to uninstall all the bits and pieces and start again?
Do I need a new sound card?
What is the PCI Simple Communications Device?

I will be off line for a while but will respond to any suggestions ASAP.

Thank you.

Gigs 11:53 19 May 05

Just to add to the above, someone suggested that it would be better not to use any Cmedia software and to uninstall it and let windows install the driver. Any thoughts please?

Totally-braindead 12:44 19 May 05

A PCI Simple Communications Device is usually what windows calls a modem, are you sure this is what is causing the problem? If you look at the device manager you will see Sound, video and game controllers if all is well there then your sound card is ok. Are you on broadband by any chance? If you are and have left the modem in your PC then this may be the device with the exclamation mark.

Gigs 21:47 19 May 05

Thanks for that. Yes you are right, I am using broadband so the internal modem is disabled.
That solves that bit.
Can you throw any light re the sound card and use of the microphone please?
Thanks so far and sorry for the delay.

crx1600 01:36 20 May 05

refresh.

Gigs 14:52 21 May 05

bump

DieSse 15:02 21 May 05

I know it's a fairly basic question - but you are sure you've plugged it into the correct socket on the card? - Normally coloured red for mic.

And you are sure the mic works? - Try it with a friends system?

Gigs 16:41 21 May 05

Yes, managed to get a faint connection now but am having difficulty getting any volume.
I think this may be something to do with my Cmedia software.
I've done a search on Google and it appears others have had a similar problem.
I suppose I may have to change my sound card. To what I don't know.
Any suggestions as to volume problem would be appreciated.

Joe R 16:49 21 May 05

Gigs,

There are a few postings here regarding the same problem. click here;action=display;threadid=13083

woodchip 16:53 21 May 05

try uninstalling the yellow in device manager and restart comp

Gigs 16:57 21 May 05

Thanks for those Joe. At least I know I am not alone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…