PCI Simple Communications Controller

Gigs 19:52 02 Feb 05

When I open Device Manager there is a yellow question mark against 'Other Devices' and when I expand that there is a yellow question mark against 'PCI Simple Communications Controller'

I am running Win XP Pro.

Can anyone tell me what this means, what effect it has and how do I rectify it please?

Thanks

spikeychris 19:59 02 Feb 05

Do you have an internal modem in a PCI slot?

Chezdez 20:03 02 Feb 05

sounds like you have a network card installed

Gigs 20:44 02 Feb 05

spikeychris. Yes there is an internal modem which is not used as I have broadband. Can I safely ignore the tellow tick if it is only to do with the unused modem?

Chezdez. No I don't think I have a network card.

JonnyTub 20:45 02 Feb 05

gigs, disable it in device manager by right clicking it, and selecting disable. Or take it out, whichever you prefer

JonnyTub 20:46 02 Feb 05

on the other hand if it's sitting there quietly, leave it be

Gigs 00:43 03 Feb 05

JonnyTub

Thanks for that, sorry for the delay. It doesn't appear to be causing any problems so I think I'll leave it.

Thanks again.

CurlyWhirly 16:09 03 Feb 05

I would disable it in Device Manager though, as even though you are on broadband, you could still be at risk from premium rate diallers.

Chezdez 16:11 03 Feb 05

and unplug the lead from it, just be 100% sure

in fact, unplug it at both ends (modem and phone jack) and then melt it, have to be very sure with these things.....

Gigs 19:34 04 Feb 05

CurlyWhirly

Thanks for that info. I have done as you suggested and disabled it.

Chezdez.

It doesn't have a telephone line going into it so I assume that is what you mean.

Thanks again.

Gigs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…