PCI Serial Controller

chids2 21:31 24 Mar 04

Can anyone tell me what a PCI serial controller is? I have looked in my device manager and it has a ? by it. I take that to mean that there is no driver installed for it but until I know what it is I don`t know where to start.I am a novice using 98 on an old pc.

SEASHANTY 23:49 24 Mar 04

Look at this website - same problem as yours
click here

norman47 09:56 25 Mar 04

What you probably have is an add on card that gives you either an extra 9 or 25 pin serial connector to your computer. This may be that the motherboard does not have the desired connection or extra ports were needed ( at some time ) for more than one external peripheral. The controller will also give you more COMM ports, some lacking on windows98.

Your next choice is to either investigate it, i.e. look at the card by opening the case. Finding the exact specification and model and then trying to locate a driver.

Or if there is no problems, to leave it.

Oh. and one I forgot, if you do not use the card it can be removed from device manager. The computer shut down and then removed from the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…