PCI or Router

simonp1 09:22 10 Jan 04

Good morning,

I have a usb adsl 330 modem, to improve performace and conection speed,will either of the above be the right way to go and if so which one would you recommend.

Forum Editor 09:31 10 Jan 04

with either of them.

A combined router/ADSL modem will only be a good buy of you're planning to share the connection with another computer - otherwise you'll be spending money unnecessarily. The router's modem won't speed up the connection.

You can get PCI ADSL modems, but I've never detected any increase in performance - they have rate adaptive technology that maintains the highest possible transfer speed, but then so does your 330 ADSL modem, and so will the router - if you buy one.

simonp1 09:59 10 Jan 04

Thanks for the reply FE, fully understand what your saying, my only thoughts were usb will pull resource from the processor, but a pci card with draw from the mb...being a online gamer i thought it may well just increase the overall performace of my pc...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…