PCI IDE card to boot windows

Trackrat 20:20 02 Sep 05

Can you pu a pci ide controller card in a computer and disconnect the hard drive from the motherboard IDE controller and then connect it to the PCI card and use it to boot from.
I am asking this as I suspect a faulty Mobo controller
So by adding a pci IDE controller card will it be able to boot the main hard drive

woodchip 20:23 02 Sep 05

It may work but it's anybodies guess, as to the motherboard or the controller on the drive being faulty. If you had a message pop up saying controller fault I would say it’s the hard drive

Cuddles 22:08 02 Sep 05

Yes it does work, i have done this on several machines.

alan227 23:02 02 Sep 05

Cuddles how did you go about it , did you have to alter any settings in the BIOS?.

alan227 23:03 02 Sep 05

Sorry for breaking into Trackrats post but I can use this information to help a friend.

Catastrophe 09:47 03 Sep 05

It may depend. I have just this situation on an old computer but cannot load the software to have the PCI recognised. So I too, am interested to hear how Cuddles does it. Is there a PCI IDE which is recognised without inputting software?

Trackrat 09:33 04 Sep 05

yes it is that simple, put the pci card in the slot and connect your hard drive to it, I assume it is a raid card you are using.

This is the reply from Cuddles.

Catastrophe 01:37 05 Sep 05

Errrr - how does it detect the software to install the PCI? Catch 22.

I repeat - is there a PCI IDE which is recognised without inputting software? Details please?

Cuddles 21:44 07 Sep 05

You do not need to install software to use a PCI card.

Catastrophe 01:29 08 Sep 05

I can boot from a PC which has software installed. Why do I have a software installation disk?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…