PCI Graphics Card for Dell 2400

Appsp 10:19 03 Feb 04

Can anyone recommend a PCI Graphics Card for my Dell 2400. I was looking at the Creative Labs 3D Blaster 5 FX 5200 but would appreciate some expert advice.

Specifically I was thinking of purchasing Secret Weapons Over Normady and not too sure if the integrated graphics with my 256 of memory will run the game.

Gongoozler 10:35 03 Feb 04

Hi Appsp. Does the Dell not have an AGP slot?

Gongoozler 10:40 03 Feb 04

I just looked at the Dell community forum click here and saw that there is a discussion on just this topic. Amazingly Dell haven't put an AGP slot in the Dimension 2400. This means that you are severely limited as to what graphics upgrades you can fit. There are high performance PCI graphics cards available, but they will all be limited by the slow PCI bus speed.

Appsp 10:46 03 Feb 04

Unfortunately there is no AGP slot. I suppose an alternative would be to fit a new motherboard but would prefer at this stage to insert a PCI card (This is probably within my capabilities whereas a new motherboard wouldn't be!).

Any suggestions on a card even though it may not be superfast.

Gongoozler 11:00 03 Feb 04

There's a selection of PCI graphics cards here click here, and if you read the customer reviews you will get a good idea of the performancs.

On the Dell forum I linked to above, it was suggested that it is not really practical to replace the motherboard (but if you are really determined it is possible). You can get a full ATX motherboard for about £50, and a case for another £50. You could then transfer all the other parts of your computer. If you don't have a full Windows XP disk, you may have problems with your XP installation on a new motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…