PCI graphics card

chriscross72 14:32 05 Oct 06

I have an E-Machines E4020 pc which has onboard shared graphics.
I use the pc a great deal for editing my digital photos and vewing music video.
Would the addition of a separate PCI graphics card speed things up and give me any other benefits.
I'd be looking to spend under £50 if possible as i do not use the pc for playing games.
Pentium 4 3.06 processor
512mb ram
230gb hdd

De Marcus™ 14:39 05 Oct 06

Won't make a jot's worth of difference.

Your better off doubling the ram, maybe more if your using photoshop.

What part of the editing process is taking a long time? It could be down to your configuration, disk space, swap space, etc, etc.

Totally-braindead 14:44 05 Oct 06

You say PCI do you mean PCI or PCI Express? If you PC hasn't an AGP or PCI Express port then PCI is what you are left with. You could get something like one of these click here they are all within your budget and would certainly improve things a bit. It would also speed everything else up a tad as it would free system memory which has to be used at present to run the graphics.
I'm afraid PCI cards are few and far between and these are probably as good as you will get.

Totally-braindead 14:47 05 Oct 06

Reading what De Marcus™ has said I'm in two minds now.
It will speed things up a bit but I'm uncertain as to how much whereas doubling the memory would make a huge difference.
How much memory do you have? I presume its XP you run?

Totally-braindead 14:49 05 Oct 06

Sorry you said what you have. Appologies must put brain into gear before posting.
If the graphics you have is sufficient I personally would be tempted to go for another 512mb RAM.
I'm away to see if Crucial have your PC on their database.

De Marcus™ 14:51 05 Oct 06
  Totally-braindead 14:52 05 Oct 06

Nope don't have the 4020 listed, the 4026 is there though. Go to Crucial click here and run scan my system and see what it says. 512mb memory will cost around about the £45 mark, within your budget,

chriscross72 14:57 05 Oct 06

Thanks for your responses....i'll stick another 512 ram in i reckon as it seems a graphics card will not make any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…