PCI ExpressGraphics Card Info:

23790954 21:25 09 Oct 06

I am running a system consisting of a Gigabyte K8N SLI motherboard, 1 gig of ddr 3200 memory, and an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor. However my graphics card is an ATI Radeon X300SE. All these components are fitted into my desktop case, which I like very much, as it takes up little space with my TFT monitor on the top. I would like to upgrade my PCI Express Graphics card from my present ATI Radeon X300SE. My queries are:
1. If I did upgrade my PCI Express graphics card, to a more expensive one, would I see an obvious improvement on my system; and 2. Most PCI Express graphics card have a minimum power supply;i.e. one I have just looked at, stated it required a minimum of a 450 watt power supply.
My desktop only has a 300 watt power supply, and although I have tried endlessly to find a company that sells a more powerful power supply, for a desktop case, (Power supplies are slightly smaller) I have been unable to find anyone who sells a more powerful one. Do all PCI Express graphics cards require a powerful power supply.
Any suggestions to this problem would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Technotiger 21:37 09 Oct 06

Hi, doubt if you would see an obvious improvement. But you would if you doubled your RAM.

Cheers.

ed-0 21:39 09 Oct 06

have you thought of using an external power supply?

click here
click here

martjc 21:48 09 Oct 06

...does need more power than plain PCI or AGP.

That said, it depends on what other hardware the supply is powering. Do you have DVD writer, second optical drive, many USB devices? These are the things that use up all the power. I think that the graphics card suppliers err on the side of caution when they state their requirements, assuming most users will have the aforementioned hardware. The 300 watts your supply gives will be shared between all the hardware in the box.

It's not that long ago that some cases had only 200 watts!

If you could work out what each item needs you may find out that there is power aplenty for your new card. Acquire a card on approval and try it. You won't damage it. The worst that will happen is it will not work through some intensive testing. If that's the case then simply send it back and be the wiser.

Peants68 18:24 10 Oct 06

Hi, PC World used to sell ATX case power supplies
over 400W or try Maplin Electronics (Reading -UK)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now