PCI-Express x1 , will my motherboard be suitable

erkmatrix 11:18 13 Jan 10

Hi I'm having problems now with my Creative X-fi sound blaster working on XP 64-bit, it was working fine the other day then I installed a skype IPEVO usb phone and it started to give sound out with skipping sound like someone was turning it on and off then I got this annoying clicking sound every few seconds. I tried doing taking off all software and drivers and uninstalling it and tried to reinstall but still doesn't work.

Decided its time for a new card as I've read heaps of problems with these Creative cards and drivers no working.

My question is my motherboard is a Gigabyte N680iSLI-DQ6-1333fsb-DDR1066x4 SLI (Dual graphics)I had a look inside and it shows PCIe slots but these are bigger than pci slot with a clip on the end. The sound card I was looking at was a Asus Xonar DX which says its PCI-Express x1. Is this something different or would it work on my motherboard

Quiller. 11:37 13 Jan 10

The Asus Xonar DX will fit into your PCix1 slot.

Quiller. 11:44 13 Jan 10

The slot to use is the small black one just above the first graphics card x16 slot.

erkmatrix 13:39 13 Jan 10

Strange forum this, I replied to this about 13:10 and now my reply isn't here.

Anyway yeah I found that slot you mention and unfortunately will be no use as there is a bronze I think its a heat sink to the right of the slot so the card would have to be very small to fit in here and then there's the memory. I appear to only have one of these slots and what a stupid place for it where pretty much nothing would squeeze in.

I'll have to look for a pci or a normal pcie slotted card but its a shame as all the ones from Asus I liked have this slot.

Quiller. 12:22 15 Jan 10

" what a stupid place for it where pretty much nothing would squeeze in. "

I agree. Why motherboard manufacturers place these expansion slots in the stupid way they do. Putting a slot above a graphics card slot is bonkers. Even a low end graphics card would intrude on the space needed to use the one and only PCIx1 expansion slot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…