PCI Express x1 slot

fishmad pete 22:12 09 Jan 05

I know you can get PCI Express x16 video cards but on most motherboards there is a x1 slot. What cards (modem/lan etc)can you buy to use the x1 slot. Maybe I am looking in the worng place but I can't say I have seen any advertisements for card that fit the PCI-e x1 slots.
Regards

LastChip 22:45 09 Jan 05

I think you may be misunderstanding the x1.

When Motherboard manufacturers refer to PCI Express x1, they mean there is one PCI Express slot, as against for example PCI x5 (5 PCI slots).

As far as I am aware, the current generation of PCI Express slots are all x16 speed.

fishmad pete 06:46 10 Jan 05

No i don't think so. If you look at the specification of the asus A8N-sli board it has 2 x16 slots and 2 x1 slot althouth one x1 slot is shared with a x16 slot

temp003 10:44 10 Jan 05

I still haven't heard or read any product for a PCIe x1 slot either.

x1 is the standard PCIe base speed or bandwidth. x16's theoretical bandwidth is 16 times as fast.

LastChip 17:30 10 Jan 05

It's the first time I've come across this and did some research.

There are Network cards available for the PCI Ex x1 slot, but it appears little else at the moment. click here for one example.

It seems that PCI Ex x1, will eventually take over the PCI function as we know it today, however, the trend it seems with motherboards at the moment, is to integrate a lot of what would have been add on cards, so that must leave one wondering, what these slots will be used for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…