PCI Express and motherboards

CurlyWhirly 21:10 24 Jul 04

I plan on upgrading my graphics card soon and I was wondering how PCI Express will be introduced into motherboards?

What I mean is if I bought a Radeon Pro X800 Extreme Edition graphics card THIS YEAR and NEXT YEAR when I plan to upgrade to 64 bit processor will the motherboard manufacturers stop supporting the 8XAGP standard straightaway?

Or will they provide 2 versions of the same motherboard so that people can still get some use out of graphic cards bought this year?
If 8XAGP support will NOT be phased out and just stopped suddenly I perhaps would be better off delaying upgrade of graphics card until next year?
CW

LastChip 21:40 24 Jul 04

Take this with a pinch of salt if you like, but from what I have read, when PCI Express is introduced, AGP will be history. I don't think the two buses can live together, but information is still sketchy, so I may be wrong.

If it were me and I was thinking of taking that route, I wouldn't be thinking of replacing an AGP card right now.

woodchip 22:17 24 Jul 04

No matter how hard you try you cannot keep in front with upgrades.

citadel 22:56 24 Jul 04

It will be best to get a new base unit in the btx format.

CurlyWhirly 23:27 24 Jul 04

So from what I have heard I would be better off waiting for PCI Express rather than upgrading my current AGP graphics card?
Right I will wait then!
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…