PCI express in laptops?

KWAKI 18:45 07 Apr 05

I'm hearing news about laptops using this technology but i'm not sure of a few things and wandered if anyone could clear me up.

I know its the latest fastest graphics with the X800 but does being pci express mean you can change the card when better ones come along ,or are you still stuck with the same one for good?

Will current games play with these cards?

Also ,is there any real benefit over the Radeon 9700 ?

Thanks for any help.

DieSse 19:15 07 Apr 05

It's almost unheard of to be able to change a graphics card in a laptop - they're built-in to the motherboard.

KWAKI 20:21 07 Apr 05

I'm sure i read somewhere that you can change the card....maybe it was a certain company, i'll see if i can find out where i read it.

JonnyTub 20:44 07 Apr 05

I had read of a laptop with upgrade

JonnyTub 20:46 07 Apr 05

huh???? I shall start again (I swear my fingers went no-where near the enter button)

Anyway as I was saying, I had read of a laptop with an upgradeable graphics card but it wasn't pci and it certainly wasn't cheap. I'll have a look through my database and see if I can find the article, it might help to know who the manufacturer was at the time as it's possible it's the same one.

KWAKI 22:13 07 Apr 05

Yes, i think i've found it ,its the Rock Xtreme Ti, well expensive but i think you can upgrade the graphics adapter?

Dan the Doctus 23:08 07 Apr 05

I've got a Sony Vaio VGN-FS115Z with PCI Express and a GeForce Go 6200 graphics card. It's not a games machine but plays Half-Life 2 very nicely with settings just below max (which are defaulted to). I don't believe the graphics card/chip can be changed.

It gets a higher 3DMark05 score than the Dell Inspiron 9200 (currently no.1 PCA notebook) which has a 2GHz Pentium M and a 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, according to the PC World review anyway. Mine's a 1.73GHz Pentium M, btw.

DieSse 23:24 07 Apr 05

Yes - it says you can change the graphics on ths one - no wonder it costs so much!

woodchip 23:28 07 Apr 05

You must be desperate to want to run games on a Laptop.

PS there are cheaper way's of killing your self

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…