pci express connection

hello, it's happened three times now no warnings or reason, i put it down to vibration maybe?
totally out of the blue screen goes black and get the message 'no input' this can only be put right by removing the graphics card and reseating, the connection seems solid enough and all the gold bits on the graphics card seem fine, so im guessing theres something weak on the pci x slot on the mobo any ideas to get a firmer connection?
i have a 8800 card, so it's very big and heavy with a large fan but as i said with the end screwed into the case it seems very solid, but it's a pain in the backside to get out so i was wondering if someone has any tips to make a cleaner connection? it's happened 3 times in as many months.
thanks
adam

laurie53 08:38 15 Jun 07

Never happened to me but I suspect it's not unknown.

My new motherboard has a little clip on at the end of the PCI socket which clips onto my graphics card, bit like the clip on the memory sockets.

Presumably this has been added because of problems such as you describe.

It's no good, you'll have get a new mobo!

Laurie

laurie53 08:38 15 Jun 07

Never happened to me but I suspect it's not unknown.

My new motherboard has a little clip on at the end of the PCI socket which clips onto my graphics card, bit like the clip on the memory sockets.

Presumably this has been added because of problems such as you describe.

It's no good, you'll have get a new mobo!

Laurie

thanks laurie, i sort of guessed as much, i never had any problems with my small 7600 card, i suppose the extra size/weight of the 8800 makes the difference, i was wondering if i should try sending the card back first? it seems fine.

you know, pc world astonish me they really do! i tried calling hp twice and could not understand a word they were saying, there was a second number underneath for the tech guys (the guys who told me i needed an agp graphics card!) after wading through the questions and eventually speaking to someone who sounded as happy as myself, i explain i need a motherboard for my computer, simple i thought, oh no, far, far, many many miles away from simple!
it's not covered by warrenty because i fitted a graphics card, and thats why i selected not covered by warrenty on the menu! 'i want a motherboard i will pay you money can you tell me, please, where i can get one on these non standard items, to fit in my non standard case please, im sure other people have had to replce them?'
after an hour of trying to educate a 'professional' as to what a motherboard is, she came back and quoted me for a card reader, ddr2 ram and a graphics card!!!
but things like this happen for a reason, i have a spare case and shall build my pc with another mobo (the only part together with the case thats standard) and all shall be fine, i hope! in my years experience of computers the existence of 2 things repeatedly puzzles me pc world and vista.
sorry for the rant, hopefully my day shall get better.

yeah sorry guys, i think i had a bad sli lead on my psu, seems ok will wait and see, i never had any screen probs the grx card just stopped, as its fed from its own power supply it couldnt have been the pci slot, and when i lfted the card to re seat obviously moved the power cable too!i must think harder before posting, thanks for the replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now