PCI express

Moriarity 15:01 30 Apr 06

Hi. I need to know if my computer is able to use a PCI express graphics card. How do I find out. Any help greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Moriarity

DieSse 15:11 30 Apr 06

There are three types of slots you can use for graphics cards

PCI - An older standard, only normally used if your system did not have an AGP slot also.

AGP - The "just past current" standard used in the majority of system for several years.

PCIe - the newest standard, in systems from around last year.

So it depends on what type of card slot your system has - your documentation should tell you. If it's over a year old it will alsmost certainly not have PCIe.

Moriarity 17:17 30 Apr 06

Hi. Thanks for your response. I dont have documentation, so was wondering if there is some kind of check I can run to determine which type of slot I have.

Thanks

Moriarity

ed-0 17:29 30 Apr 06

If you could find your motherboard make and model. Then you would be able to find it very easy.

Use a free programme like everest home click here to scan your computer and give you your details. If you can tell us what motherboard you have. Someone will point you in the right direction.

Moriarity 17:41 30 Apr 06

Hi. Hopefully I've done this right and this is the correct name.

Motherboard- AMD Sempron, 1800MHz(9x200) 3100+.

Thanks

Moriarity

ed-0 17:47 30 Apr 06

No that is your processor.

What is listed for motherboard name? click here

Moriarity 18:05 30 Apr 06

Hi. Thats what I originaly thought, but it just says unknown! There is a chipset name which is

Motherboard Chipset VIA K8M800/K8N800, AMD Hammer

and the cpu name which is

AMD Sempron, 1800MHz(9x200) 3100+.

but the motherboard name is unknown.

My machine is a few years old and has had its motherboard replaced within the last year but i never knew what model was put in.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Moriarity.

DieSse 18:22 30 Apr 06

The SIW software here click here will tell you everything about your system, and then some.

It will certainly identlfy your motherboard, and probably also tell you what kind of slots you have.

Moriarity 18:41 30 Apr 06

Thats solved it!! Motherboard name and info

Model K8M800-8237

Chipset Vendor VIA Technologies Inc
Chipset Model K8M400 CPU to PCI Bridge
South Bridge VT8237 PCI to ISA Bridge

I have 4 pci and 1 agp system slots. Does this mean I can install a pci express graphics card?

Thanks.

Moriarity

ed-0 19:08 30 Apr 06

Your board could be a click here that chipset is used in quite a few motherboards.;-(

If SIW is reporting that you have 4 PCI and 1 AGP. Then the best you could use would be a 8X AGP card and NOT a PCI-E graphics card.

The other option is to open the case and look at the slot. If you want to check, post back and immages of AGP and PCI-E slots can be posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…