PCI Express

Canadaman 20:49 19 Dec 04

Dear all,

I have just bought a new computer but had my previous PC for 5 years and haven't really bothered keeping up-to-date on new technology. Now, of course, my interest has been re-kindled and I am seeing lots of talk about PCI Express graphics cards. Pardon my ignorance but could someone tell me how I will know if my new PC will take a PCI Express Card? It is a new MESH with:

"ASUS A8V DELUXE GB LAN/1394/SATA/RAID/AUDIO (939 PIN)" motherboard

AMD ATHLON 64 4000+ Processor

Just not sure how I can tell if it can take one of these new cards if I want to upgrade it?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards, Roger

Belatucadrus 21:07 19 Dec 04

PCI express has a completely new socket and as your board has an AGP 8X click here it isn't going to take a PCI express card. If you decide you absolutely have to have PCI express, you'll need a new MOBO with the right slot.

freaky 21:16 19 Dec 04

I am fairly certain that the Asus board supplied with your new Mesh computer does not support PCI Express. This is not a great problem as PCI Express is relatively new. Very few Graphic Cards
are PCI....and these are very expensive!!

You will have an AGP socket so any Graphic Card will plug into that. Your new Mesh will have a Graphic Card fitted anyway, so this is not a problem to be concerned about. PCI is quicker than AGP but I doubt if you would find the extra speed noticeable. So basically don't worry!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos