PCI-E and Intel 478 socket

pjwheeldon 02:26 06 Sep 05

Does anyone know if there is a MB which gives PCI-e but allows a Pentium 4 478 socket CPU to be used? I want to upgrade the grphics card and seems sensible to go PCI-e, but don't really want to go to the expense of replacing the CPU.

Thanks for any help!

AndySD 03:49 06 Sep 05
  pjwheeldon 09:07 06 Sep 05

Thanks for finding that board so soon, AndySD. Only problem now is finding one of the ?!£"($!ing things! Can't find a supplier to help so have contacted Asus for help. Will update when I know more!!

gudgulf 12:50 06 Sep 05

Looks like there is one in stock at click here

gudgulf 12:58 06 Sep 05

Just a thought.......what graphics card/cpu combination are you using?.Pci-e cards wont outperform the equivalent AGP ones just yet and if you are not already running a top of the line card you might be better off putting the £60 cost of the motherboard towards your graphics card.

pjwheeldon 00:03 07 Sep 05

Gudulf - p4 3.0 and intending buying a 6800GT to replace my 9800pro. I'd be grateful if you could run through why PCI-e and AGP will run the same;just assumed that as it allows greater data flow PCI-e would increase perfomance.

Oh, and thanks for finding the board for me! "PCAdvisor: better than Kelkoo". :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…