Pci-e extra 6 pin connector is it easy

So Afraid 16:51 29 Jul 08

My psu has the above but it looks well wrapped up in a bundle of cables,and not near the graphics card,i have been offered a 8600gts which needs the 6 pin connector,

Any tips for easy connection and anything i need to know?

PSU is 480w

Ditch999 17:29 29 Jul 08

Make sure PC is switched off (even at wall) then unwrap the required cable and attach it to the card.
You should also uninstall any current drivers you have installed before inserting the new card.

When you first boot with the new card in Cancel the "new hardware wizard" and run the drivers that you should have downloaded from the Nvidia website.

citadel 17:36 29 Jul 08

just loosen the cables, unfurl the wire with the 6 pin on and plug in the connector, then re-tie the cables where they were with a cable tie.

So Afraid 19:17 29 Jul 08

Thanks.

Looking at the cables again it seems there are 2 other connectors at the other end of the 6pin,unless i am seeing it wrong,if so where do these connect to.

It looks like this

click here

Ditch999 12:52 30 Jul 08

Those are standard molex connectors and are the same ones that supply power to a hard disk or DVD ROM etc.

The 6 pin connector goes in to the graphics card and the 2 molex fit in to spare molex connectors that come out of the power supply. Try to use two different cables that come out of the power supply and not 2 connectors on the same cable.

So Afraid 16:08 30 Jul 08

Ok thanks again,

I now have a idea about the way it should connect,will do as you suggest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…