PCI ADSL Modem Needed

ade.h 12:31 09 Dec 04

Hello all. I'm about to go broadband, and due to a lack of spare USB sockets, an internal modem is essential. I have seen a Zoom model at £50 and a Dabs Value model at £15. Can anyone recommend something in the middle?

PS. I won't be able to reply to any responses until tomorrow (no net connection at home!)

bretsky 13:32 09 Dec 04

Look at this link
click here

bretsky ;0)

Molded 13:40 09 Dec 04

For a pci modem I recommend this one :

click here

Have used it on one of my PCs for 6 months or so and found it faultless!

ade.h 13:22 10 Dec 04

Thank you both for your replies. The Dynamode looks a good bet at £24. I'll have a look at the Solwise page when I have more time and let you know how I get on.

Noelg23 13:38 10 Dec 04

sorry to break the happy medium guys but wouldnt it have been better to get an internal PCI USB card and then buy a USB modem? but if you're happy with internal modems, thats ok. so lets hope you get a good bargain.

spuds 14:13 10 Dec 04

The SAR-01PA in the bretsky link, as the Alcatel/Thomson chipset which is similar to the exterior SpeedTouch modem. These can require a constant 500ma power supply, so make sure that your motherboard will support it, otherwise you may have occasional disconnection problems.

ade.h 22:46 10 Dec 04

I already have extra USBs, in addition to the two on the motherboard, and they are all in use. Besides, I thought it might be better to have just one bit of hardware rather than two.

Are there any drawbacks to PCI ADSL modems (technical, performance, or otherwise) that I may have overlooked? Any thoughts appreciated.

ade.h 23:02 10 Dec 04

I have just had a more detailed look at the Dynamode and some of the Ebuyer customer reviews are worrying. Some very happy people and some who found it very unreliable. Reliability is absolutely crucial.

I may consider something more expensive, such as the Zoom modem at £50 (though the budget is fairly tight) if I thought it was advantageous. Any thoughts?

Mikè 23:23 10 Dec 04

Do you have a ethernet/ network port? if so click here

ade.h 23:29 10 Dec 04

No haven't, sorry, Mike. Not sure I'd know what to do with anyway.

Mikè 23:37 10 Dec 04

No network port is it quite an old pc then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…