PCChips M590 and Registry errors

Bandy 15:56 25 Oct 03

My neighbour?s daughter has a PCChips M590 that is apt to suddenly find it has a registry error and restore from a backup, and its proving quite a nuisance to her.

The spec is M590 with an AMD K6-2 350Mhz processor and 128Mb SDram (PC133) and a new Maxtor 20Gb hard disc.

Looking around the net I gather that this is a ?troublesome? board but it has been working well for her.

A clean install of Win98SE has been tried, and all programmes re-installed. Everything went well, although the graphics card caused more registry errors and restarts than anything else.

I?ve tried downloading upgrades for the 6326agp onboard video and C18330 Cmedia sound and have also flashed to the last available bios.

One thing I do notice is that the error does not occur with anything like the same frequency if SIMM memory is used rather than DIMM. I?ve tried changing the memory strips and memory testing programmes on both types of memory, with no faults found (both have been tried), and am beginning to wonder if there is a fault on the DIMM sockets/board circuit(although I can't see why if the memory tests OK)

Before hitting this board with the cat I wonder if anyone here has any other ideas that I might try, partly because I?ve lent her my spare machine and would quite like it back.

Bandy 15:59 25 Oct 03

PS The question marks were inverted commas when I typed the original post

Bandy 12:22 26 Oct 03

A quick bump for a last try

Legolas 13:13 26 Oct 03

Sometimes unbranded memory can cause problems and I know it can cause problems with some PCChips M/B,s you could try getting a branded stick of RAM from crucial and trying it.

Bandy 17:57 26 Oct 03

Thank you Legolas

but I've tried versions of DIMM memory from Crucial, Kingston and some branded Compaq already.

I think I'll just ditch the board. relace it, and tick the resolved box.

A_World_Maker 18:03 26 Oct 03

could be an intermitent memory controller chip on the main board, possibly effected by heating up and cooling down?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…