PCChips KM266 upgrade, XP won't start

GrahamP 15:48 16 May 04

Just upgraded a box to Pcchips KM266(M825LU), 256MB PC2100 and Athlon XP 2200.

It starts ok with a W98 Startup floppy and the hard disk is visible.

When I attempt to start from the hard disk - Windows XP Professional - it gets to a "Windows did not start successfully" screen and offers a cut down Safe/normal boot option menu. Both safe and normal options flash up a BSOD (too quick to read) and reboot.

XP was booting perfectly with the previous setup - MSI6178/Celeron 500.

Any ideas?

AndySD 16:21 16 May 04

You will need to do a repair instal of xp as not only have you changed the motherboard but also the make of processor.

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

There is nothing to worry about as long as you follow these steps to repairing Windows XP.

GrahamP 18:13 16 May 04

Many thanks for your reply Andy.

I was painfully and disbelievingly coming to this conclusion. I've upgraded several motherboard/(make of)processor combinations and not hit this yet. Usually Windows starts and and goes through iterations of the "found new hardware" process, finally gets to the desktop and allows driver update.

Is this peculiar to PCChips/this combination or have I just been lucky so far?

AndySD 10:54 17 May 04

It often happens when changing from AMD to Intel processors

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…