PCChips 848ALU mobo - Dave Hughes

xxxxxxxxx 21:37 05 Oct 04

My system is an AMD 2500+, 2 x 128Mb Crucial 2700DDR, 120 and 20Gb HDDs, Fdd, DVDRW, CDRW, two front plate mounted USB2 connectors off USB3 pins on motherboard, XP Home. Everything works fine.
However Device Manager shows an entry indicating presence of "IEEE 1394 Host Controller" and underneath with black exclamation mark in yellow circle "OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller". Page 32 of the manual under Peripheral Setup gives entry of "Optional Bios Item: Onboard 1394 Device (Enabled)"

The system has no IEEE 1394 device installed, only PCI card is a Soundblaster 5.1 and AGP 440MX NVidia garphics card. There is no BIOS entry re "Optional BIOS" and no apparent way to disable the IEEE 1394 entry.

Has anyone else come across this problem? My own computer using the same board etc. does not show this entry/problem

Any ideas would be appreciated

Dave Hughes

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:50 05 Oct 04

in device manger highlight ie1394 and uninstall.

Scan for hardware changes does XP find new hardware and attempt tp re install?

Gongoozler 21:51 05 Oct 04

I don't know your motherboard, and can't find the manual to download, however the BIOS under the "Integrated peripherals" heading often has options for other variants of the motherboard, so you may well find one for IEEE 1394 that you need to disable.

xxxxxxxxx 01:02 06 Oct 04

Thanks to Fruit Bat and Gongoozler reply to FB first:-
Uninstal as much as you like, it's back next time you boot up. Unfortunately the BIOS option is set to "Enable" according to the manual, but there's no BIOS entry available on the motherboard that makes any reference to IEEE etc. and therefore you simply cannot turn it off. I have actually gone through the BIOS of my own computer line by line and comparing both but I cannot find any reference to IEEE 1394 in that and on my own system there is no reference at all in Device Manager to IEEE/1394!! It's not a real problem as the system works fine with it on or set to disabled, it's just peculiar as to how it's got there.

Gongoozler:- I too have been unable to locate copy manual even on PCChip's own site. There is no mention in the BIOS of any other options under Peripheral Setup that I can access, no mention whatsoever of "Onboard IEEE Device" although the manual accompanying the board does show it as being enabled. There manual shows it there but it is not shown in the actual BIOS.

Many thanks to both of you, I have another board that I can use to see if it is specific to this actual mobo or not. I will exch mobo for identical one and see what we get. Will post reply for info. It could be that this board is faulty.
Dave Hughes.

xxxxxxxxx 18:57 11 Oct 04

Changed mobo for another new PCChips 848ALU - still present under new system!!
I give up, PCChip Tech Support have still not replied (ha ha)

DH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now